This message is also available in other languages (please see below).
Preparing for winter inclement weather
In recent years, we have experienced an increase in extreme winter weather. As a result, we have reviewed how we respond on inclement weather days. There may be rare occasions where unprecedented winter weather events occur and we need to close all schools and Board locations.
Closures will be considered when facilities may not be safe for students and staff members to attend school for the full day. This may include events that significantly limit school operations such as a significant snowfall or ice storm that restricts access to the school site, causes widespread or prolonged power failures or downs power lines.
In keeping with our current practice, we will continue to keep our schools open as much as possible. However, it is important that families have alternate child care arrangements planned for the rare occasions when schools may be closed. Before and after care programs will also not operate if schools are closed. Please ensure that you take the time to make plans in the event of an emergency school closure.
School Transportation Cancellations
We will continue to cancel school transportation if road conditions are unsafe for buses and taxi service or are expected to deteriorate significantly by the time students are to be bused home. Bus cancellations don’t necessarily mean there is an emergency school closure. Schools will remain open unless otherwise stated.
If transportation is cancelled in the morning, it will also be cancelled for the afternoon. Students not attending school due to inclement weather will not be coded as absent, but we do ask families to let the school know if your child will not be attending school that day. For more information on inclement weather days, please visit our website.
Communication about transportation and school closures
Decisions about school transportation and school closures will be made as early as possible and no later than 6:00 a.m. To find out if transportation is cancelled or schools are closed, please check:
- Student Transportation Services website
- Student Transportation Hotline: 1-877-330-3001
- Board website and school websites
- @YRDSB Twitter account
- Radio and TV media outlets
We will do our best to notify families in advance when we may be considering closing school and Board offices. Our priority continues to be the safety of our students, staff members and families. If you have any questions, please speak with your school principal.
Director of Education
This message is available in additional languages:
- Arabic Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Farsi Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Gujarati Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Hebrew Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Korean Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Punjabi Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Russian Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Simplified Chinese Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Tamil Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Traditional Chinese Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Urdu Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures
- Vietnamese Letter to Families - Winter Weather Closures