May 27,2021 – Four students from York Region District School Board will represent Ontario at the national skills competition, after placing first in the provincial event.
The Skills Ontario Competition, held virtually earlier this month, gave students an opportunity to compete in a variety of skills-based challenges. Students in YRDSB took home 18 awards including:
- Lego Mechanical Engineering events (one gold, two silver and two bronze)
- Lego Robotics (silver)
- Workplace safety (silver)
Full results for the Elementary Skills Ontario Challenges.
- 2D Character Animation (gold)
- Electronics (gold)
- Graphic Design - Presentation (silver and bronze)
- Graphic Design - Studio Production (gold)
- IT Network Systems Administration (gold)
- Landscape Design (bronze)
- Mechanical CAD (bronze)
- Photography (bronze)
- Web Design and Development (silver)
Full results for the Secondary Skills Ontario Challenges
The four students who placed first in the secondary school events will go on to represent Ontario in the Skills Canada National Competition, held virtually on June 15, 2021, including:
- Angela Zhang and Rachel Han, Pierre Elliott Trudeau HS, 2D Character Animation
- Sam Klug, Stephen Lewis S.S./Secondary Virtual School, Electronics
- Wilbur Zhang, Unionville H.S., Graphic Design - Studio Production
- Nimish Patri, Unionville H.S., IT Network Systems Administration
“Our students worked very hard to prepare for the skills event. These events give them a great opportunity to learn and apply their skills, problem solve and innovate in a hands-on setting. We are so proud of all of our students who participated and congratulate them on their success,” said Heather Sears, Superintendent of Education, Curriculum and Instructional Services.
York Region District School Board is the third-largest school district in Ontario with over 128,000 students in 180 elementary schools and 33 secondary schools. York Region students consistently perform above average in provincial testing and the Board is one of the top achievers in Ontario. For more information about the York Region District School Board, please visit the Board website and follow YRDSB on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
For more information, contact: