Thank you for choosing YRDSB and welcome. Registering for school takes a few easy steps.
If any of the following apply, please visit the Reception Centre
- Students new to Canada (residing in Canada less than 6 months)
- Students transferring to YRDSB from home schooling in Ontario
- Students transferring to YRDSB from other boards in Ontario/other provinces with time-sensitive documents, e.g. work permits, refugee claimants
Returning students from outside Canada who have been residing elsewhere internationally for over one year
Families can continue to register students for school during the summer months following the steps below. Elementary schools are closed during July and August. Families please contact or visit your home school in your area to set up a registration appointment. To register a secondary student during the summer months, please continue to contact or visit your home school.
You can find your school's contact information on the school profiles or on your school's website.
Please note: Elementary schools are closed during July and August. Please contact the Community Education Centre in your area to set up your registration appointment.
To register a secondary student during the summer months, please contact or visit your home school.
- Elementary School Registration Form or Secondary School Registration Form
- Other documents required, if applicable:
- Direction of Tax Support form (required if property tax bill/municipal property assessment is not provided)
- Any assessments to support the student’s placement
- Staff Administration of Medication
- Self-Administration of Medication
- Anaphylaxis Health Care Plan
- Asthma Health Care Plan
- Diabetes Health Care Plan
- Epilepsy Seizure Disorder Health Care Plan
- Any legal documents related to custody
- Proof of child’s age (Birth Certificate/Passport)
- Proof of your child’s address - two documents, one from each of the categories below showing the home address:
- Category A
- Property Tax Bill / MPAC Notice of Assessment
- Current Rental / Lease Agreement
- Agreement of Purchase and Sale, including proof of purchase provided before the pupil attends the school, and;
- Category B
- Utility Bill / e-Bill (i.e. Hydro, Water, Residential Phone/Cable/Internet Bill, Enbridge, Insurance Policy – Home, Tenant or Auto)
- Other official/government documents (i.e. CRA Notice of Assessment, Statement of Old Age, Security T4 (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits, etc.)
Your home school will help to identify and explain any special programs available to your child.
- Do you identify as First Nation, Métis or Inuit? Students/families can identify their Indigenous ancestry and access opportunities and supports. Learn more about self-identification.
- Kindergarten Registration begins in January, appointments to register are not necessary.
- For information about international students contact our International Education department.
- While a new school is being built, registrations will take place at a nearby school. Please visit our New Schools on our website for more information.
- Elementary schools are closed during July and August. Please contact the Community Education Centre in your area to set up your registration appointment.
- Visit Programs and Services to register for any credit and non-credit programs offered for adults, or elementary and secondary students.
- Learn more about the registration and admissions process in the School Admissions Policy and Procedure.