Welcome to YRDSB’s Conference
Learning Together: Empowering Families Through Transitions
This two-day virtual conference is for families who have children turning 4 or 5, and are eligible to begin Kindergarten in September 2022. Your child does not have to be registered for Kindergarten yet to attend.
View or print PDF version of the conference flyer:
- Chinese (Hong Kong)
- Chinese (People's Republic of China)
During this conference, families will:
- engage with educators and community partners in interactive learning opportunities
- connect to resources in the community
- hear from Dr. Jean Clinton, an advocate for children’s issues with a special interest in brain development and relationships as the new keynote speaker
Every family who attends will receive a free storybook to enjoy with their child!
Conference takes place March 29 and March 30 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. each day.
Day 1: Tuesday, March 29, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Enjoy an evening session for parents/caregivers
- Welcome from Louise Sirisko, Director of Education for the York Region District School Board
- We are excited to hear Dr. Jean Clinton, a Child Psychologist and Clinical Professor for the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences at McMaster University, share her knowledge on the importance of relationships in the transition to Kindergarten
- Discover YRDSB and what resources we have to offer.
- Join Alan Faigal, from Culture Shock Canada, for adults to self-care by dancing along in a funky fusion inspired energizer and sweat session! Transform any room in your space into a commUNITY dist-dance floor! Top 40, Old Skool, Funk, Bollywood…a mix of everything to get you moving and grooving!
Day 2: Wednesday, March 30, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Enjoy an exciting evening with children and parents/caregiver
- Join Alan Faigal for more family fun with music and movement for all to enjoy.
- Join us for a peek into Kindergarten with our friend Chester the Raccoon, a character from the book, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.
- Learn about free programs and services in York Region communities
- Choose from one of the four following interactive sessions:
- Are you looking for strategies to help your child overcome stress and go back to calm? This session, Journey from Co-Regulation to Self-Regulation, is for you!
- Are you and your child feeling anxious about starting Kindergarten? This session Taming the Butterflies, is for you!
- Want to have fun and support your child’s math and literacy skills using everyday materials? This session, Homemade Math and Literacy, is for you!
- Would you like to learn about how playing with the parts of spoken words helps build your child’s understanding of how the alphabet works? This session, The Importance of Spoken Word Play, is for you!
The York Region District School Board in partnership with Vaughan Public Library, EarlyON Child and Family Centres of York Region, Region of York Children Services, CAPC Georgina, Markham and Vaughan brings this free conference to you.