What is Active School Travel?
Active School Travel is the use of any form of human-powered travel to get to and from school. It includes walking or wheeling (including cycling, rollerblading, skateboarding, and scootering).
Taking the school bus is also considered a form of active school travel. We encourage riding the bus as a sustainable form of transportation.
Benefits of Active School Travel?
- improves physical and mental health
- reduces traffic congestion and improves safety for everyone in school zones and around our school community
- improves air quality
- improves student academic performance by making children more alert and better prepared to learn
- encourages social interaction and improves social skills
- promotes life-long habits that foster independence and active lifestyles, preparing children for their future
York Region District School Board is committed to encouraging Active School Travel in all of our school communities and providing education on the many benefits. In addition, we are committed to raising awareness around school zone safety in collaboration with our partners/stakeholders. It is a shared responsibility and we all have a part to play.
To get started we recommend taking small steps and slowly building a program within the school community. If you need help to get started, resources can be found at Ontario Active School Travel or email email@example.com.