Each year our schools celebrate International Walk to School Day.
There are many good reasons to walk to school, walking to school:
- Keeps kids active - a cheap and easy way to stay active, with out any special training or equipment
- Builds friendships - walk with a classmate or schoolmate
- Improves air quality and the environment - less cars, less pollution
- Creates safer routes - less traffic means safer roads
- Helps prepare children for learning - movement gets the blood flowing to the brain
Schools will encourage students to walk to school. Schools with a large student population who are bussed might plan for students to take a walk around the school grounds.
If you are a parent who drives your child to school because of distance why not park your car safely a few blocks from school and walk with your child the rest of the way to school?