Human Rights Complaints Process

The HRO addresses human rights complaints, concerns, issues or matters bought forward by a member of the Board community that relate to Policy #240.0, Human Rights: Code-Related Harassment and Discrimination​.

The HRO maintains an impartial approach when addressing a human rights complaint. Our team strives to explore all perspectives and understand all sides of a complaint. Please note that any complainant who seeks resolution of a complaint must be prepared to be identified to the respondent.

The standard process for filing a human rights complaint is by submitting a HRO Reporting Form.

Report an Issue

The HRO Reporting Form is available for anyone in the Board community to report a human rights violation.
Report a Human Rights Issue


As part of the human rights complaints process, the HRO will:

We actively listen to the concerns of any member of the Board community seeking advice or information regarding any human rights issue or matter. Strict confidentiality and privacy is guaranteed at all times, which is consistent with the arm's-length position of our office.

We inform Board community members on the human rights complaints resolution processes available to them. Matters that fall outside of Human Rights Policy #240 will be referred to the appropriate dispute resolution mechanism​ as it relates to other relevant Board policies and procedures.

We facilitate or initiate informal resolution processes as agreed to by the complainant and/or respondent. Refer to our Early Resolutions page for more information on restorative practices such as informal dialogue or mediation.

We support Board community members by respecting dignity and recognizing individual differences throughout the complaints resolution process.


When to Contact the HRO

Human rights concerns can be addressed and resolved at all levels within the Board.​ If you believe that you, or someone you know, has experienced a human rights violation, you should first speak to your principal, manager and/or superintendent. This is your best chance to resolve a concern quickly.

  • If you are a YRDSB employee who is a member of a union, you should first bring the matter to the attention of your union representative.

  • If you are students or parent, you should first bring the matter to the attention of the school principal and/or superintendent.