Early Intervention Services
Who is eligible?
York Region families with children aged birth to school entry with special needs. Children with special needs include those at risk due to established risk factors such as:
- Downs Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
Biological risk factors such as:
- Delays with development
- Low birth weight
- Multiple births
Services are provided by early interventionists, occupational/therapists who are skilled at working with children and their families. One year prior to school entry, a plan is developed with the family, interventionist and Board staff to begin the transition to school for each child.
What services are provided?
Programs and services that help parents to:
- Understand their child’s growth and development through assessment and screening
- Teach their child new skills
- Access community programs and resources
- Reach goals that are important to the well-being of their family and child
- Participate in parent-child play groups, parent support groups and education workshops
Where are services provided?
- Early Intervention Services offices in Newmarket, Georgina, Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill
- The family of caregivers home
- Child care centers and playgroups
- Ontario Early Years Centres
- Recreational facilities