Dismantling Anti-Black Racism Strategy
Every student should have the opportunity to achieve personal excellence, and to feel safe, welcome and valued. Our priority of championing equity and inclusivity has a focus on addressing incidents of anti-Black racism.
That work includes:
Our Anti-Black Racism Steering Committee and Anti-Black Racism Advisory Group continue to guide the development of an Anti-Black Racism Strategy for our Board.
We are updating our Report It Tool to make it easier to report incidents of hate and discrimination, including anti-Black racism.
We are providing training for all staff members on anti-Black racism.
We continue to analyze the data from our recently completed census titled Every Student Counts to help us better understand the experiences of our students, identify barriers and ensure we are making meaningful progress in supporting our students.
Our curriculum department has been reviewing the tools we use to select the books and texts used in classrooms to ensure we are taking a more equitable and inclusive approach.
Learn more about Black community agencies that provide supports in your area:
- The Alliance of Educators for Black Students Twitter @AEBSyrdsb
- The Black Foundation of Community Networks (BFCN)
- Markham African Caribbean Canadian Association (MACCA)
- Newmarket African Caribbean Canadian Association (NACCA)
- Parents of Black Children
- ANCHOR (Formerly Vaughan African Canadian Association (VACA))
- York Region Alliance of African Canadian Communities (YRAACC)
We are committed to creating safe, caring and inclusive learning environments. If you see incidents of discrimination or hate, including anti-Black racism, you can use the Report It form to report these incidents.