The Newcomer Reception Centre is located at:
Dr. Bette Stephenson Centre for Learning
36 Regatta Ave
Richmond Hill ON L4E 4R1
The Centre will be open from 8.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m. (Mon-Fri)
The Reception Centre helps families and students complete the necessary steps to register for and to become part of their school community.
Who needs to register their children at the Reception Centre?
This is for the 2020-2021 School Year
- Newcomers to Canada (except for Visa Students who are to visit the Admissions Office as per the information below)
- Students transferring to YRDSB from homeschooling
- Students transferring to YRDSB from other boards in Ontario/other provinces with time-sensitive documents, e.g. work permits, study permits.
- Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents whose first language is not English and lived in another province for less than six years (6)
- Returning students to Canada if they have been out of the country for more than 12 months
- New international, fee-paying Visa students entering Elementary school, and referred by the Admissions Office or International Education once they have received their "Acceptance Letter" from the Admissions Office. (Please do not book an appointment with the Reception Centre until you have received the Acceptance Letter.)
The services of the Reception Centre are available all year round. December to January and July to September are the busy months of the year for the Reception Centre . During these busy months, all clients are encouraged to book appointments as early as possible or at least three weeks before the start of the school year to ensure that students can begin school on time. At this appointment, the following will occur:
- All documents will be checked
- Students will be placed at their home school based on their address
The Reception Centre will ensure the necessary documents are sent to the school to facilitate a smooth transition for the student.
Book an appointment by calling:
Please bring the following to your appointment:
All original documents must be presented - all documents will be photocopied for the school. Your original documents will be returned to you.
- Student’s birth certificate establishing relationship to parent
- Parent and student Canadian status document:
- Canadian citizenship card
- Permanent resident papers
- Work permit
- Study permit
- Refugee claimant papers
- Two documents showing proof of address:
- Rental agreement and/or purchase agreement, and
- One of the following:
- Utility bill (i.e. hydro, electric, water bill, etc.)
- Other official/government documents (i.e. CRA Notice of Assessment, Statement of Old Age, Security T4 (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits, etc.)
- Family living with relatives or friends must provide a letter of residency from the friend/relative, a property tax bill, and one utility bill in the name of the friend/relative
- Official report cards/transcripts for the last two years
- Letter of Acceptance from the YRDSB Admissions Officer when required
International VISA Students
Secondary Visa Students are assessed and processed through International Education Services upon arrival and during the Orientation period.
Any questions pertaining to Visa/International Students should be directed to:
The Admission's Office