The Reception Centre helps families and students complete the necessary steps to register for and to become part of their school community.
The Centre will be open by appointment only from Monday to Friday - 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. 12 months of the year. Please note at this time walk-ins are not permitted.
Who needs to register their children at the Reception Centre?
- All Newcomers to Canada
- Students homeschooled for more than one year
- Students transferring to YRDSB from other boards in Ontario/other provinces with time-sensitive documents, e.g. work permits, study permits, refugee claimants, convention refugee
- Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents whose first language is not English and lived in another province for less than six years (6)
- Returning students to Canada if they have been out of the country for more than 12 months
- Students with English as a second language, transferring from a private school with less than 6 years of education
- Students transferring to YRDSB from faith based private schools
- Elementary international fee paying visa students
All clients are encouraged to book appointments as early as possible or at least three weeks before the start of the school year to ensure that students can begin school on time.
To Book an Appointment:
To book an appointment with the Reception Centre you will need to complete our online form. Only one form per family is required.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Student’s birth certificate establishing relationship to parent
- Parent and student Canadian status document:
- Canadian citizenship card
- Permanent resident papers
- Work permit
- Study permit
- Refugee claimant papers
- Two documents showing proof of address:
- Rental agreement and/or purchase agreement, and
- One of the following:
- Utility bill (i.e. hydro, electric, water bill, etc.)
- Other official/government documents (i.e. CRA Notice of Assessment, Statement of Old Age, Security T4 (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits, etc.)
- Family living with relatives or friends must provide a letter of residency from the friend/relative, a property tax bill, and one utility bill in the name of the friend/relative
- Official report cards/transcripts for the last two years
- Letter of Acceptance from the YRDSB Admissions Officer when required
All original documents must be presented - all documents will be photocopied for the school. Your original documents will be returned to you.
International VISA Students
Secondary Visa Students are assessed and processed through International Education Services upon arrival and during the Orientation period.
Any questions pertaining to Visa/International Students should be directed to:
The Admission's Office