Reception Centre

The Reception Centre helps families and students complete the necessary steps to register for and to become part of their school community.

The Centre is open 12 months of the year, by appointment only. 

Please note at this time walk-ins are not permitted.


Reception Centre Hours

September - JuneMonday to Friday - 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.


To Book an Appointment

To book an appointment with the Reception Centre, you will need to complete our ONLINE FORM
Only one form per family is required. 

Who needs to register their children at the Reception Centre?

  • Students with time-sensitive documents (e.g., Dependent on parent’s work permits, parent’s study permits, refugee claimant status, convention refugee)
  • Permanent Resident Status students
  • Children under 18 years of age living with a custodian in York Region

All clients are encouraged to book appointments as early as possible or at least three weeks before the start of the school year to ensure that students can begin school on time.

Who can register directly at the school?

  • Students with Canadian Citizenship

Who needs an assessment?

Elementary Students (Grades 2-8), Secondary Students (Grades 9-12)

  • Students who are new or returning to Ontario with a first language other than English
  • Students who have been studying at school with a language of instruction other than English for more than a year​​
  •  ​​​Students who are new to Canada and have been studying in another board within Ontario with no report cards
  • Students who have been out of school for more than 1 year (significant gap)
  • Students that required ESL/ELD support in another province

Please bring the following to your appointment:

  • Student’s birth certificate establishing relationship to parent

  • Parent and student Canadian status document:

    • Passport

    • Canadian citizenship card

    • Permanent resident papers

    • Work permit

    • Study permit

    • Refugee claimant papers

  • Proof of Residency:


  • Two documents showing proof of address:

    • Rental agreement and/or purchase agreement, and

    • One of the following:

      • Utility bill (i.e. hydro, electric, water bill, etc.)

      • Other official/government documents (i.e. CRA Notice of Assessment, Statement of Old Age, Security T4 (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits, etc.)

  • Documents not acceptable:

    • Driver’s License, Car Ownership and Car Lease;

    • Health Card;

    • Credit Card Statement; or

    • Cell Phone Bill/e-Bill.


  • Elementary:  Bayview Hill ES, Buttonville PS, Central Park PS, Coledale PS, Crosby Heights PS, James Robinson PS, Parkview PS, Ramerwood PS, Richmond Rose PS, Silver Stream PS, Sixteenth Avenue PS, Unionville Meadows PS, Walter Scott PS, Unionville PS, Unnamed Markham Centre ES – holding at Parkview PS, and Unnamed Markham Centre ES – holding at Milliken Mills PS; 

  • Secondary: Alexander Mackenzie HS, Bayview SS, Langstaff SS, Markham DHS, Markville SS, Middlefield CI, Thornlea SS and Unionville HS:

  • Three Documents Required:

    • One (1) from Category A, and Two (2) from Category B

    • All documents must show home address for student living with the parent(s)/guardians(s).

    • All documents must contain at least one parent or guardian’s name.

    • All Category A documents must be original.  Copies will not be accepted.

  • Category A:

    • Property tax Bill/MPAC notice of tax assessment (must be current - within past year).

    • Purchase and sale agreement, including proof of purchase and closing date, provided before the student attends the school (must be current - within past year).

    • Bank Statement/Financial letter: must be stamped by Financial Institution – financial details can be obscured (must be current – within two months).

    • Any CRA document (i.e. Notice of Assessment, Canada Child Benefit, Goods and Services tax/Harmonized sales tax (GST/HST credit), Housing Benefits, etc.) (must be current – within past year).

  • Category B:

    • Utility Bill/e-Bill (i.e., hydro, gas, water, residential phone/cable/internet Bill, insurance policy – home, tenant or auto) (must be current – within two months).

    • Any CRA document (i.e. Notice of Assessment, Canada Child Benefit, Goods and Services tax/Harmonized sales tax (GST/HST credit), Housing Benefits, etc. (must be current – within past year).  IF NOT USED FOR CATEGORY A.

    • Other official Provincial or Federal government documents that includes parent(s) or guardian(s) names and address (must be current – within past year). 
  • Documents not acceptable in Category A or B:

    • Driver’s License;

    • Health Card;

    • Lease or Rental Agreements

    • Credit Card Statement; or

    • ​​​​​​​Cell Phone Bill/e-Bill.

  • Official report cards/transcripts for the last two years

  • Letter of Acceptance from the YRDSB Admissions Officer when required

All original documents must be presented and will be photocopied by the school. Your original documents will be returned to you.


International VISA Students

Elementary and Secondary Visa Students are assessed and processed through International Education Services upon arrival and during the Orientation period. Once students have enrolled through International, they can visit the school directly to complete the registration process.


Newcomer Resources

Settlement and Education Partnership of York Region (SEPYR)

General Information for Newcomers



To schedule an assessment, please submit a request through our online Assessment Form.

Elementary Panel:

  • Register through school or RC based on status. 
  • Students will begin school 2 - 3 business days upon full registration
  • Admin staff to submit request for assessment
  • Assessment will be on a first come first serve basis.

Secondary Panel:

  • Register through school or RC based on status
  • Students will await assessment to begin school.
  • Admin staff to submit request for assessment
  • Assessment will be on a first come first serve basis
    • Vital Math and English link will be shared with details and next steps
    • Oral interview by Reception Centre Teacher Assessor with results and next steps
  • Connect with school guidance counselor with assessment results to get a timetable


Any questions pertaining to Visa/International Students should be directed to:

The Admission's Office