The Parent Reaching Out (PRO) Grants program provides funding to district school boards and school authorities to lead projects with a focus on the identification and removal of barriers that prevent parents and families from participating and engaging fully in their children's learning.
Projects must demonstrate a commitment to respecting the role of parents in students’ educational experiences by working with parents or seeking parent input on how schools can improve in at least one of the following areas:
- Providing a safe and welcoming school environment;
- Maintaining open communication with teachers;
- Respecting parents as valued partners within the education system in relation to decisions about their child’s education; and,
- Informing parents about the expectations of the Ontario Curriculum.
- Create an outreach plan to inform parents of the program and its outcomes.
- Funding must be spent within the 2020-21 school year.
- Projects must be completed within the 2020-21 school year.
Projects identify and address local barriers to parent engagement are implemented through a variety of means which may include but are not limited to:
- Parent resources
- Parent engagement sessions
- Parent information sessions
- Projects will reflect the diversity of our communities.
- Parents have increased awareness of school activities and initiatives and improved perception of a welcoming school climate where parents' perspectives are encouraged, valued and heard.
- Parents are more involved in their local school environment and child’s education.
- Parents experience fewer barriers to participation in their child's learning.
- Parents feel like valued partners in the education system.
- Parents have increased confidence in public education.
- Parents are provided with the knowledge, skills and tools they need to support their child's learning at home and at school.
Terms and Conditions:
- Funding must only be used for the approved project. Changes that impact on the nature and/or objectives of the project(s) must be reported to email@example.com. Funding may not be used for ineligible expenses as outlined below.
- If the grant does not cover the entire cost of the project, the School Council is responsible for funding the balance from other sources.
- The implementation and completion of the project is the responsibility of the School Council.
- The School Council will acknowledge the Province's contribution on press releases, printed materials, conferences, workshops and other materials.
- Subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act, all information pertaining to this grant is public information and may be released to third parties upon request.
Ineligible Project Costs or Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Activities that took place prior to September 8, 2020
- Payment to school board staff or volunteers, including salaries, honoraria, gifts
- Refreshments exceeding 10% of the approved funding
- Out-of-province travel
- Debts or financial losses that result from a project
- Fundraising events
The application deadline has now passed.
Each school council is responsible for submitting their own application. If working in partnership with other councils, each school council is eligible for funding up to $500 and is responsible for costs not covered by the funding received.
If approved, the school council is responsible for:
1. successful completion of the project
2. scanning and emailing copies of receipts and invoices to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. submission of a final report (to be provided via google form) by June 30, 2021.
Further details will be provided to schools in the approval notification of their project.
For more information
For more information, contact Inclusive School and Community Services.