Community Partners - Employers

How do I request a Co-op student?

Register online at the YRDSB Co-op Employer Registry. Your information will be sent out to the schools and they will connect with you directly to discuss student placements.

Secondary students are eligible to earn credits towards their diploma by applying the knowledge they learn in school to a workplace setting. Employers participating in Co-op programs are referred to as "placement supervisors". Their role is to guide the student's learning through appropriate training and supervision.  Please see the supervisor's guide for more information.

coop education supervisor guide

What are the benefits for your business and community organization?

Your organization gets to:

  • participate in the education of today's youth;
  • identify potential future employees;
  • develop supervisory skills in employees;
  • utilize motivated students who are willing to learn and take on new tasks;
  • develop greater understanding between the community and today's youth


More information


Is it safe?

Health and Safety instruction for students participating in Cooperative Education programs and work experience is the shared responsibility of the teacher and the placement supervisor. Students in specialized placements such as medical institutions or those participating in the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) will have specific safety guidelines they will have to adhere to in order to be eligible to participate.


Is there Insurance Coverage?

Most students participating in a Cooperative Education programs are covered under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997. To ensure coverage, a Ministry of Education Work Education Agreement form must be completed and signed by all parties prior to student placement. This insurance coverage, arranged through the Ministry of Education, applies only to the hours stated on the Work Education Agreement. If an amendment to the hours stated on the Work Education Agreement is required, a note (signed by all parties) must be appended to the Work Education Agreement Form in order to ensure insurance coverage for the student. It is the student's responsibility to obtain this approval.

Students whose training station is outside the province / country - for example our International Cooperative Education students - are covered under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act for up to six months while at their workplace in the host province or country. Students, who in special circumstances (such as Specialized Programs) receive an hourly wage or salary, must be covered by the employer for Workplace Safety and Insurance Act coverage.

If students stay at their placement beyond the hours stated on their Work Education Agreement and become part-time or full-time employees of the placement and are paid, Workplace Safety and Insurance coverage becomes the responsibility of the employer.


Board Liability Insurance

Students and training organizations are insured against a lawsuit arising out of the negligence of the student while performing the duties of the co-op placement. The Board does not cover personal injuries to the student.


Student Accident Insurance

Student Accident Insurance is made available to all York Region District School Board students. This insurance is optional and is paid for by students and parents. All Cooperative Education students are strongly encouraged to purchase a policy.


Do I have to pay the student?

Students do not normally receive a salary or wage for the hours stated on their Work Education Agreement as this is an education program in which students earn credits. Students, however, are permitted to receive an honorarium or an expense and/or transportation allowance from their placement.

If students stay at their placement beyond the hours specified on the Work Education Form, they may be hired as employees and paid. Such an arrangement shall not involve the school or the teacher.

In specialized programs students are eligible to be paid. The placement is then responsible for all the insurance and other responsibilities associated as an employer.


What are the costs associated with the program?

The costs are in your time, time to support, advise and supervise the student's work progress. WSIB expenses are covered by the Ministry of Education.