Students and Parents

How does it work?

You select Co-op as part of the regular course selection process. You will then be invited to a pre-placement interview by the teacher to determine program readiness and placement choice. Co-op credits are linked to a related curriculum course that you have already taken or will be taking concurrently.

Your Co-op teacher is your monitoring teacher and will work with the placement supervisor and your subject-related teacher to develop a Co-operative Education Learning Plan (CELP) that is designed to complement your strengths, interests, and needs, thus enhancing your preparation for the future

Your placement supervisor will guide your learning through appropriate training and supervision. The supervisor meets with your teacher to assist with the development of the Co-operative Education Learning Plan (CELP) and to provide formative evaluation of your work performance.

Is it safe?

Health and Safety instruction is mandatory for anyone participating in Cooperative Education programs. Safety is a shared responsibility of your teacher, the placement supervisor and more importantly YOU.

Is there Insurance Coverage?

Most students participating in a Cooperative Education programs are covered under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997. To ensure coverage, a Ministry of Education Work Education Agreement form must be completed and signed by all parties prior to student placement. This insurance coverage, arranged through the Ministry of Education, applies only to the hours stated on the Work Education Agreement. If an amendment to the hours stated on the Work Education Agreement is required, a note (signed by all parties) must be appended to the Work Education Agreement Form in order to ensure insurance coverage for the student. It is the student's responsibility to obtain this approval.

Students whose training station is outside the province / country - for example our International Cooperative Education students - are covered under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act for up to six months while at their workplace in the host province or country. Students, who in special circumstances (such as Specialized Programs) receive an hourly wage or salary, must be covered by the employer for Workplace Safety and Insurance Act coverage.

If students stay at their placement beyond the hours stated on their Work Education Agreement and become part-time or full-time employees of the placement and are paid, Workplace Safety and Insurance coverage becomes the responsibility of the employer. The student should ensure that this coverage is in place, as these hours are outside of the credit-earning program.

Liability Insurance

Students and training organizations are insured against a lawsuit arising out of the negligence of the student while performing the duties of the co-op placement. The Board does not cover personal injuries to the student.

Student Accident Insurance

Student Accident Insurance is made available to all York Region District School Board students. This insurance is optional and is paid for by students and parents. All Cooperative Education students are strongly encouraged to purchase a policy.

Am I paid?

Students do not normally receive a salary or wage for the hours stated on their Work Education Agreement as this is an education program in which students earn credits. You are, however, eligible to receive an honorarium or an expense and/or transportation allowance from your placement if they should offer it. If students stay at their placement beyond the hours specified on the Work Education Form, they may be hired as employees and paid. Such an arrangement shall not involve the school or the teacher.

What are the costs associated with the program?

Participation in some placements may involve additional costs to you or your parents. Please check with the Co-operative Education department in your school to find out what options are available to provide assistance to those students whose financial circumstances make it difficult for them to participate.

Who do I see in the school for more information about Cooperative Education Programs?

See the Co-operative Education or Guidance Departments in your school.