For Members of the Public
On March 18, 2020, in response to the public health situation both globally and in Ontario, regulatory amendments were made to Ontario Regulation 463/97, Electronic Meetings, enabling school boards to continue to meet electronically during mandated school closures.
Thank you for your interest in the York Region District School Board decision-making process.
1. I am a member of the public, can I still be involved in public meetings of the Board?
Yes. During the system closure and up to 60 days after school closure orders have expired, school boards are permitted to hold meetings electronically. This action supports social distancing in order to interrupt the spread of COVID-19.
Members of the public are welcome to access and listen to the proceedings of public meetings.
2. Where can I find agendas for public meetings?
Agendas for public meetings are posted on the Friday prior to the meeting on the Board and Committee Meetings section of the Board website. Upcoming meetings can also be found on the homepage under events.
3. I have never connected to a webinar. Where can I learn more?
Please see the GoToWebinar Attendee Quick Start video for information about the GoToWebinar technology and how to connect to a meeting. This resource outlines key information to support public access to public meetings of the Board.
4. How do I connect to a meeting?
Meetings will be accessible through a webinar and by telephone. Connection information will be included with each meeting agenda package. Note: Access information is different for each meeting and specific to each individual participant.
1. A computer and internet connection is required.
2. Open the meeting agenda. All meeting agendas can be found at: www.yrdsb.civicweb.net/Portal.
3. Click on the link provided in the agenda to register for the meeting and install the GoToWebinar software. The link will look as follows: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/20digitnumber
4. You will be prompted to enter your First Name, Last Name and a valid email address in order to register to access the meeting. Click Register when all required fields are complete. Once you have registered, you will be sent an email with instructions on how to join the meeting.
Privacy Statement: By registering for the webinar, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your name and email address for the purposes of providing you with access to the meeting. Access to your personal information is limited to the meeting organizers. The York Region District School Board (the “Board”) will not use this personal information for any other purpose. Please review the Board’s privacy statement and policy for more information.
Alternatively, you may access the meeting by telephone which does not register or share your personal information. See Connecting by Telephone below.
5. A confirmation of registration will be displayed. This window will include a link that will prompt you to check system requirements to avoid connection issues. When you click this link your system will automatically be checked for compatibility.
6. Once complete, you will be given an option to try a test session. It is recommended that you do this in order to be familiar with the system and confirm you are able to utilize the technology.
7. If you have never used GoToMeeting, you may be prompted to Download the app. If you have used GoToMeeting previously, this step and step 8 will not be required.
8. The application will prompt you on where to save the file. Select a folder location (i.e. Downloads), click on Save and the application will download. Once downloaded, click the download file to start the installation and wait for it to complete. Once installed, the application will automatically open.
9. To join the meeting, select to join by either Computer or Phone, then click Save and Continue. You can also get to this screen by clicking on the Join Meeting button on the confirmation email sent to you by the system.
Call into the telephone number outlined in the agenda for the specific meeting.
When prompted, enter the nine-digit access code included with the agenda.
Please mute your telephone to avoid background noise.
Please view the Quick Tips video for connection information.
5. I am having trouble connecting, what should I do?
It is recommended that you register for the meeting and download the software well in advance of the meeting. The day of the meeting, connect to the webinar or call at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the meeting. This will allow time to troubleshoot connectivity issues.
If you are having trouble connecting, check your telephone or internet connection first. If you continue to have connection issues, visit https://support.goto.com/webinar for support and answers to frequently asked questions.
If you continue to experience connectivity issues, please contact Corporate Secretariat and Trustee Services (see contact information below).
Important: Requests for support after 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting, may not be able to be addressed prior to the meeting.
** Corporate Secretariat and Trustee Services staff are working remotely in order to interrupt the spread of COVID-19. Voice messages and emails are being checked and responded to regularly.
6. I am connected but I can not hear?
If you are joining the webinar, the audio will be broadcast through your computer. Speakers are required. Ensure your sound is turned on and the volume is turned up. For the best sound quality, it is recommended that you use headphones (connected to your computer or telephone).
If you experience trouble hearing the webinar using your computer, try dialing in by telephone.
Visit https://support.goto.com/webinar for support and answers to frequently asked questions.
7. I am raising my hand, why am I unable to speak?
As at any meeting of the Board, members of the public are welcome to access meetings to observe/listen to the proceedings. If you wish to speak to your local trustee or address the Board, please see the section below.
8. I want to speak to my local trustee or address the Board of Trustees, what should I do?
a. Trustees continue to be available to speak to parents and members of the public. Please visit the 2018-2022 Board of Trustees page for contact information.
b. Individuals wishing to address the Board of Trustees should contact Corporate Secretariat and Trustee Services (contact information below) to discuss options including, but not limited to:
- enacting other appropriate feedback and support mechanism(s);
- a conversation with the local trustee or Board Chair;
- a written submission to the Board of Trustees; and/or
- a request for delegate status to address the Board of Trustees at a future meeting.
Please refer to the Supporting Community Concerns policy and procedure for information on how to address school or student-related matters.
9. I have individual accommodation needs, what should I do?
York Region District School Board (YRDSB) is committed to providing a respectful, welcoming, accessible and inclusive environment for all persons with disabilities in a way that is respectful of the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and in a manner which takes into account the person’s disability and embodies the principles of integration and equal opportunity. We are equally committed to becoming a barrier-free environment and meeting the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). All other relevant legislation concerning accessibility are rigorously observed in a timely fashion.
If you require accessibility support for participation in any Board activities including meetings, we will, upon request, provide and/or arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports for persons with disabilities.
To this end, we will consult with the person making the request in determining the suitability of an accessible format and/or communication support. The YRDSB will provide the agreed upon accessible formats and communication supports in a timely manner that takes into account the person’s accessibility needs due to disability.
If you require accommodations, please contact the Corporate Secretariat and Trustee Services (see contact information below).