The York Region District School Board continues to provide high quality learning opportunities for all students to ensure their success.
The 2019-20 annual budget for the York Region District School Board is $1,515,000,000;comprised of $1,411,360,000 for operating expenditures and $103,640,000 allocated for capital expenditures.
Two new elementary schools opened in the 2019-2020 school year. No new schools are scheduled to open for the 2020-21 school year.
Highlights of the 2019-2020 budget
- Minimizing the impact of funding changes on student achievement
- Resources dedicated to equity and diversity
- Special education
- A continued emphasis on mathematics
- A continued focus on mental health and student well-being
Development of the budget is an ongoing process reflecting decisions made through out the year and includes Board priorities and direction as established by the Trustees’ Multi-Year Plan, the Director’s Action Plan and the Board Improvement Plan for Student Achievement.
Our Board continues to actively solicit the participation of many interested groups in the budget process. Input was received from a variety of sources,including presentations from the Special Education Advisory Committee; Parent, Family and Community Engagement Advisory Committee; Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee; York Region – Ontario Principals’ Council;and York Region Corporate Management and Professional Staff Council.
Ministry of Education Funding Commitments
The Ministry announced the following:
- Changes in funded average class sizes for Grades 4 - 12.
- The introduction of mandatory online courses for secondary students.
- Attrition protection funding for four years to protect classroom teachers affected by class size changes and mandatory e-learning.
- A tariff of $1,300 per international student to be deducted from the Grants for Student Needs Operating Grants.
- Adjustments to the non-salary portion of the school operations and student transportation benchmarks to recognize increased costs.
Updated November 2019