York Region District School Board continues to provide high quality learning opportunities for all students to ensure their success.
The 2021-2022 annual budget (PDF) for the York Region District School Board is $1,591.9 million comprised of $1,485.8 million for operating expenditures and $104.6 million allocated for capital expenditures.
No new schools opened in the 2020-2021 or the 2021-22 school year.
Highlights of the 2021-2022 Budget:
- Minimizing the impact of funding changes on student achievement
- Special education programs and supports
- A continued focus on mental health and student well-being
A few challenges that the board is facing during operation in COVID times and uncertainties:
- Declining enrolment during COVID-19 – both pupils of the board and international students
- Funding challenges in the following areas:
- Learning Opportunities
- Special Education
- Textbooks and Learning Materials
Development of the budget is an ongoing process reflecting decisions made throughout the year and includes Board priorities and direction as established by the Trustees’ Multi-Year Strategic Plan, the Director’s Action Plan and the Board Improvement Plan for Student Achievement.
Our Board continues to actively solicit the participation of many interested groups in the budget process. Input was received from a variety of sources, including presentations from the Special Education Advisory Committee; Parent, Family and Community Engagement Advisory Committee; Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee; York Region – Ontario Principals’ Council; and York Region Corporate Management and Professional Staff Council.
Ministry of Education Funding Commitments
The Ministry announced the following:
- renewed focus and supports on learning recovery and renewal, equity and student mental health and well-being
- continuing to implement strategies that protect the health and safety of students and staff and support flexibility in school board operations
- support planning and implementation and remain responsive to any changes that may be required due to the evolving public health environment
- COVID-19 funding supports including:
- Transportation Health and Safety Funding
- Special Education, Mental Health and Well-being and Equity Funding
- ESL Stabilization Funding
- Additional Staffing Support
- Additional School Operation Support
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Critical Supplies and Equipment (CSE) for student and staff from Ministry of Government and Consumer Services throughout the year
Updated January 2022