Every effort has been made to ensure that course participants are not required to install or configure additional software. However, some courses do require you to install additional software on your system. Where this is the case, your instructor is available to walk you through the process. Below you will find a listing of the standard software requirements as well as additional software requirements. Do not attempt to download or install any of the additional software until you have contacted your instructor - you may not need it.
Standard Software Requirements
- Web browser
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher
- Firefox current version
- Safari 5.1, 6.0 or current version
- Word Processor - Microsoft Word or Open Office
- Adobe Reader
- Macromedia Flash Player
There are often special software requirements in courses. These are course specific and you will be notified of any special requirements upon application to the course.
To receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org or Continuing Education, add @yrdsb.ca to your 'safe-email list' or address book to ensure the emails aren't sent to a junk mail box.
For instructions specific to your Email Provider refer to the steps listed below:
- MSN/Hotmail: Click “Options”, Click “Safe List”, Add the domain address to your @yrdsb.ca and @yrdsb.elearningontario.ca Safe List, Click OK
- Outlook/Outlook Express: Right click (control-click) on the message in your inbox. Select the option “Add to Address Book”
- Yahoo: Open the email from your Bulk Mail box. Click on “Send to Yahoo for Review”. Yahoo’s system administrator will make the change so messages from e-Learning will be delivered to your Inbox.
- Yahoo Address Book: On Yahoo Email, there will be a blue link that says “Add to Address Book”. Check off the addresses you would like added. Click the Add Checked button to add to your address book.
In order to view content accurately on this site and at Desire2Learn, we recommend that you update your browser settings to enable pop-ups or add these sites to your preferred list where pop-ups are allowed. YRDSB can assume no liability for software or issues related to installation.
The Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the modem you have has a big impact on your success online. Much of what we require has to do with your computer's display characteristics -- how things appear on your screen. For best viewing results select a screen resolution of 1280 X 1024 pixels and a color depth of 32.
A minimum setting would show a width of 800, a height of 600 and a color depth of 8. Is your system ready for e-Learning?
Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-MHz or faster processor (Pentium III recommended),
- 56k modem [as a minimum requirement] or faster [strongly recommended],
- 8X (multi-speed) CD-ROM drive,
- 16 bit sound card and speakers,
- 128 MB Random Access Memory (RAM)
- 100 MB of free hard disc space.
- Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution monitor
Note that these are minimum requirements. Your ability to quickly and efficiently move through course modules is related to the amount of computer power you possess as well as the quality of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).