YRDSB Seeking Nominations For SEAC Organization Representation
In accordance with the Education Act: Regulation 464/97, Special Education Advisory Committees each school board is required to establish a Special Education Advisory Committee.
The Special Education Advisory Committee of the York Region District School Board is responsible for making recommendations to the Board with respect to any matter affecting the establishment and development of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the Board.
Members are expected to attend one meeting per month during the school year at 7 p.m. at the YRDSB Education Centre in Aurora or virtually during the current pandemic.
The new term for membership will begin on November 15, 2022 ending November 14, 2026.
Current SEAC Organization or Association Representation
Current organization or association representation on YRDSB SEAC for the four-year term starting December 1, 2018 and ending November 14, 2022:
- Association for Bright Children of Ontario York Region North
- Autism Ontario - York Region Chapter
- Children’s Treatment Network of Simcoe York
- Community Living Georgina
- Community Living Central York
- Community Living York South
- Down Syndrome Association of York Region
- Early Intervention Services of York Region
- Easter Seals Ontario
- Learning Disabilities Association - York Region
- VIEWS for the Visually Impaired
- York Support Services Network
Interested local associations or organizations may submit a letter of nomination for one representative and one alternate representative to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to July 1, 2022.
“Local association” means an association or organization of parents that operates locally within the area of jurisdiction of a board and that is affiliated with an association or organization that is not an association or organization of professional educators but that is incorporated and operates throughout Ontario to further the interests and well-being of one or more groups of exceptional children or adults. Ontario Regulation 464/97, Special Education Advisory Committees, s. 1.
The York Region District School Board By-Laws Appendix C, Special Education Advisory Committee Operational By-Laws state under membership (Section B) that SEAC members and alternate members must be:
- a Canadian citizen,
- of the full age of eighteen years,
- a resident within the area of jurisdiction of the board,
- a public school elector, and
- not employed by the board in which the member resides.
For more information please feel free to reach out to Lori Davenport by email email@example.com or phone number (905) 727-0022 extension 2027.