Under Ontario's Education Act, every exceptional pupil is entitled to special education programs and services which meet their needs. In York Region, the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) plays a vital role in ensuring that exceptional pupils receive appropriate educational services.
In accordance with the Education Act: Regulation 464/97, Special Education Advisory Committees each school board is required to establish a special education advisory committee.
Working together to support exceptional pupils.
The Special Education Advisory Committee of the York Region District School Board is responsible for making recommendations to the Board with respect to any matter affecting the establishment and development of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the Board.
Following is a list of the York Region Special Education Advisory Committee organizations and their current representatives:
- Association for Bright Children of Ontario - York Region North
- Association for Bright Children of Ontario - York Region South
- Autism Ontario - York Region Chapter
- Children’s Treatment Network of Simcoe York
- Community Living Georgina
- Community Living Central York
- Community Living York South
- The Down Syndrome Association of York Region
- Early Intervention Services of York Region
- Easter Seals of Ontario
- Learning Disabilities Association of York Region
- VIEWS for the Visually Impaired
- VOICE for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children
- York Support Services Network
Special Education Advisory Committee meetings are open to the public and are usually held on the first Thursday of each month at the Education Centre - Aurora at 7:00 p.m.
SEAC Agenda and Minutes
You can view an archive of SEAC Agenda and Minutes from 2006 to present.
SEAC Members List 2018 - 2022
Contact information for all associations - SEAC Members List
Download each individual section of the SEAC Handbook below:
If you require a fully accessible version of the SEAC Handbook, please go to the online SEAC page included in the Special Education Plan.
For further information on Special Education Advisory Committee meetings, please contact Education and Community Services, extension 2027.
For more information about programs offered by the Board to support Special Education, please visit the Special Education webpage. If you would like more Information about the Special Education Advisory Committee or special education programs and services in York Region, please call the following personnel:
Coordinating Superintendent of Student Services & Well-being
Superintendent of Curriculum & Instructional Services