The School Within a College (SWAC) program provides students with the opportunity to complete their high school diploma, earn college-level credits, and learn in an adult learning environment in a college setting.
Students will build self-advocacy, literacy skills, and learning strategies in preparation to make a successful transition to post-secondary education.
The primary focus is on students facing challenges in graduating and who have the potential to succeed in college. Beginning in September 2020, York Region District School Board has partnered with Seneca College to offer the School Within A College program.
A SWAC School Within a College Program flyer (PDF) is available for viewing and sharing.
How does it work?
The SWAC Program takes place at the Seneca College: King Campus throughout the semester. Courses are delivered by Secondary School Teachers and College Instructors at Seneca College. YRDSB students can earn up to 6-8 credits in one semester.
Note: In September 2021, due to COVID-19 and the college campus being closed, the program will take place at our tentative location of Community Education Centre (CEC) North - 130 Carlson Drive, Newmarket, Ontario L3Y 5H3. The college-delivered dual credits through Seneca College will be delivered online.
Sample schedule for the Semester
1-2 Credit Cooperative Education
2 Dual Credit courses
2 other OSSD courses
Online Dual Credit Courses
Tentative Fall 2021 and Winter 2022
College Course Code (Ministry Code)
PSY172 KZZ (HBH4T)
Group Dynamics (SWAC YRDSB) - Fall
9:50 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
SCL191 KZZ (HSH4T)
9:50 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
* note that 9:50am-10:50am is synchronous learning
Activities and Benefits
- SWAC students are provided with a Presto Card (if applicable)
- The SWAC program offers a Breakfast Program throughout the semester (in person)
- The Dual Credit earned is counted towards a first-year course college and OSSD requirements.
- SWAC students will be registered college students and receive a student number and identification card.
- Access to all college services space (Gym, Library, Computer labs) and events. (Note, that in the Fall 2021 school year, Seneca College will be closed)
- Career Exploration activities and workshops which will be included in the SWAC program
- An official transcript will be provided at the end of the course upon request.
Target Student Group:
- Students should be between the ages of 17-20
- Should have completed 22+ credits
- Completed OSSLT or OSSLC (preferred but not required)
- Early leavers
- Apprenticeship and/or college-bound
How to Apply
Students are recruited twice a year for September and February intakes. Interested students will apply online. Applications will be vetted and then students will attend an interview with YRDSB and Seneca College Staff in August or January.